Blog Deep Dive Six

The two articles regarding screen time are vastly different. The first article, "Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation," discusses how the increased use of screen time among younger generations seems to have led to higher depression rates. She states in the article, "about four times as many Americans now take antidepressants, which are often effective in treating severe depression, the type most strongly linked to suicide" (Twenge). In contrast, the second article entitled, "No, Smartphones are Not Destroying a Generation" directly apposes many of the other views of the first. Cavanagh speaks on Twenge's use of data, stating that it's "cherry-picked" in her favor, but mostly she talks about the other statistical finds regarding the newest digital generation. She states, "...this generation has sharply lower rates of alcohol use, teen pregnancies, unprotected sex, smoking, and car accidents than previous generations. This is what a destroyed generation looks like?" (Cavanagh). Similarly, they both agree that screen time, like many other things, should be limited, but Cavanagh concludes that the generation, in the end, will be alright. I received my first smartphone in 6th grade (I had had an iPod a year before that for communication with my parents). It was my brother's old phone, and I began by using social medias of all different kinds. I found Snapchat to be annoying and a waste of my time, and liked Instagram, but did not fall in love with it. I mainly used it when I was young to communicate with friends and family, and for recreational activities, I tended to enjoy reading more. I think if I left my phone in a drawer for a day, I would be alright. I would, of course, miss texting my friends and be nervous that I'd miss something from my parents. But, for recreational use, I think I'd do just fine.

I think that the ultimate lesson on smartphones is that they are a good thing. They have made mass communication, news outreach, long-distance connection, and general understanding of current events easier. I think some aspects can be damaging, but I believe the good outweighs the bad. The use of data in these articles was critical to their success. As we see in the first one, it helps prove a point to a greater extent. As we see in the second one, it is important to view and comment on both sides of a story to make a strong and believable argument.

Comments

Popular Posts