Blog Deep Dive Five

 


    Why is Shakespeare so appealing to me? Everyone else in the world that I've met (minus one person) simply does not enjoy his work the same way I do. It seems as if it does not effect them or the words do not make sense to them the way that they make sense to me. It is understandable, it's an old way of speaking, his plays are full of long words and sentences that seem excessive at points. It is almost like it was written like he was trying to confuse us, trying to make all high school students of the future miserable.

    But I can't help but find something so appealing about it. Maybe it is simply the idea that these plays have inspired so many works after them, or maybe I just like torturing myself with difficult lyricism. I find his words to be so provoking at times, and just so completely original in their own respect. No one wrote like him, and no one has ever since. Maybe it's the themes he creates, of anger and of love in the most quintessential manners. Maybe it's because every stage production of a Shakespeare play I've seen always seems to hold more emotion than any other modern work. In all due respect, I understand why so many people are irritated by his work. But, I can't help but find myself completely enraptured when reading monologues such as, "Is this a dagger I see before me?" and "...as if we were villains on necessity, fools by heavenly compulsion".
























Comments

Popular Posts