Blog Dive into Dystopia

- I think dystopian novels are so populary today because they make us feel better about the world we live in today. Whether is is a solicism based novel (like 1984) or an apocolypse based novel (like Station Eleven), it is an easy comparison to today's world because they are set in locations that we are familier with, but are often destroyed or completely transformed. I think this makes it easier to see our world as a better place. Some other dystopian books that I love are The Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin, 1984 by George Orwell, and (of course) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The dystopian genre supposudly fits perfectly with the teenage brain, meaning that when teenagers are sad, they often consume media that makes them feel sadder. They also contain quite a bit of angst toward governments and people of power, as well as a sense of questioning the world.

- (I am definitely going to pretend here that this isn't one of my favorite books - I've read it 3 times - and I haven't seen the show) I think that the show will be about the apocolypse, specifically from a pandemic, and very similar to the COVID pandemic if it had gone horribly wrong. I think it will be about how the world rebuilds and how life goes on after the apocalype and how people find hope in the world again.

 1. I think this epigraph describes a lot of what dystopian novels encompass, including the world moving to a usually metaphorical (unless it's City of Ember) darkness, and the world will fall apart ("too much world).

2. I think this scene begins the novel because it already creates an impending sense of doom on the rest of the book. I also think it starts with this because it is a big plot point for some of the characters (Arthur and Kirsten) and it shows that people are still dying from reasons ther than the flu. I want to know how fast the flu hits and how people were able to escape it.

3. "But Arthur Leander was running out of time. He swayed, his eyes unfocused, and it was obvious to Jeevan that he wasn’t Lear anymore" (Mandel).

Comments

Popular Posts